Have you ever wondered how successful property managers seem to get so much done with their day? Maybe, you have even wished for a little bit of that success as you continue to struggle with managing your time and completing daily tasks.
Building maintenance can be a struggle, but it doesn’t have to be as challenging as it’s been
While it is true that some people are naturally more productive than others, there are many things we can do to become better at managing our days and prioritizing our tasks.
If you already work with iRestify, you know we love a good “streamlined day”. If you don’t work with us yet, here are some tips to help you manage your time.
3 Apps and Time Management Resources
- Trello or Google sheets are great resources because like iRestify, it is easier to remove paperwork from your life (and save some trees in the interim) as, like our service, everything is right in the palm of your hand, in your smartphone.
- Another unique but popular app is Remember the Milk, which is built on the premise of thinking of the most important thing, getting sidetracked by other tasks, then forgetting well, the milk= the important thing.
- Lastpass is exceptional if you work with a team and need to share an app but wish to keep some privacy and a must-have for transient staff like interns, contractors, or short-term support.
Why is Time Management so Important?
Understand that time management is a crucial part of running your business. It can be challenging to manage time if you’re not sure what you should be doing and when.
It is vital that you keep your property running smoothly so that you have a work-life balance. This article will help with some tips on better managing time while working.
1. Make a List of Goals/Priorities
Questions to ask yourself:
- What needs to be done right now?
- What are your goals for 2022?
- What has been the biggest struggle?
- Do you have enough time to manage your property maintenance requirements?
- Can you count on your staff and contractors?
- If not, how will you manage to retrain them or obtain additional staff or commercial cleaners?
2. Determine How Much Time Each Task Will Take to Complete
Every question needs to be assigned a time value. If you prefer to spend more time on other tasks and not, say, commercial cleaning, you need a system in place that saves you time.
The time value needs to connect to what you want your day to look like as well. If you don’t want to, for instance, spend time fielding calls that something isn’t clean or up to par, you need to invest in finding trusted and thorough commercial cleaners. Easier said than done.
3. Schedule Tasks By Priority And Length Of Time It Will Take To Complete Them
Once you know what you are willing to spend time on, you can map out your schedule and tasks by priority and length of time.
Property managers are constantly faced with various tasks, and it can be challenging to determine which ones should take priority.
Fortunately, there is a foolproof way to prioritize time: by using the “ABC Method.” This method will help you avoid stress and anxiety and save your valuable time and energy for more important things.
The ABC Method
The ABC method is simple: begin by writing down all tasks that need to be completed in any given day or week on
(A) High-priority items
(B) Mid to Low-priority items
(C) Tackled items
Not to brag, but iRestify helps turn many of your A and B lists into the C list. If you are not with us yet, that’s OK; we still want to help.
We realize that you already are using other forms of scheduling and time management, but this is based in part on psychology, and wanted you to have a resource to brainstorm as you adapt to a potential new way of prioritizing.